Founder Joseph Smith, whose family lived on a farm that straddled the line between Palmyra and Manchester, claimed to have been visited by God the Father and Jesus Christ in 1820, an event known as the First Vision.
In 1830 the Book of Mormon was first published in the village of Palmyra by E. Grandin, in the present Book of Mormon Historic Publication Site.
Wayne County has been considered to be part of the Rochester, NY Metropolitan Statistical Area and lies on the south shore of Lake Ontario, forming part of the northern border of the United States with Canada.
Its location during the early westward expansion of the United States, on an international border and in a fertile farming region, has contributed to a rich cultural and economic history.
In 1792, he in turn sold approximately 1,200,000 acres (4,900 km) to The Pulteney Association owned by Sir William Pulteney and two other minor partners.
The Pulteney Purchase, or the Genesee Tract as it was also known, comprised all of the present-day counties of Ontario, Steuben and Yates, as well as portions of Allegany, Livingston, Monroe, Schuyler and Wayne.
The name honors General Anthony Wayne, an American Revolutionary War hero and American statesman.
Wayne County is less than 50 miles west of, and is in the same Congressional District as, Syracuse.
During the early years of the 19th century, activity in Pultneyville focused on agricultural commerce from the surrounding region (as far south as Canandaigua) and the maritime trade on the Great Lakes.
In 1865, it was home to nearly 30 lake captains, and many sailors from both Pultneyville and Sodus Bay crewed on whalers around the world.
In 1874 the first railroad appeared when the Lake Shore Railroad line opened and the center of trade moved three miles (5 km) south to Williamson and Pultneyville's significance as a commerce center sharply declined.
Wayne County played host to key events in the development of significant American religions during the country's Second Great Awakening period of the early 19th century.
Sodus was surveyed by Joseph Colt in lots of a quarter acre (1,000 m²), a hotel was built, and ,000 was expended in the first two years in improvements.